kate's chewy sugar cookies
The last few weeks have been ~weird~ to say the least (and not bring up any bad juju before cookie baking). I have had so many feelings about everything happening around the world. The one way I, and many people, cope is by doing something they love, pouring positive energy elsewhere. Although this is my wedding blog outlet, it is also my creative baby, too. I started this blog at a time when I needed a creative escape over four years ago and what better time than now to share something else personal to help others again.
In addition to my love for weddings and DIY, I have an innate love for baking. There's something special about taking basic ingredients and sharing the outcome with people you love. As far back as I can remember, my mom would show me how to bake countless things, while sitting atop a kitchen counter, all with a beige Hamilton Beach hand-mixer (that I still use to this day). Over the years, I acquired a vintage orange Butterfly Gold Pyrex mixing bowl that I use for *everything* food-related. With these two nostalgic, and borderline magical, things, I can make almost anything.
Today, I wanted to share an easy c h e w y sugar cookie recipe with you all that I have made both traditionally and gluten-free. I will try to keep it simple and brief, so you don't have to scroll through a whole slew of pictures and descriptions to get to the recipe. This has been adapted from many recipes tried and true over the years, and I think the cream cheese is the ticket! I like to think of baking in steps, so I broke this one down to as easy as A, B, C.
Kate's Chewy Sugar Cookie Recipe
Prep: 10 mins
Fridge: 20 mins
Cook: 10 mins
Yield: Approx. 30 cookies
- Baking sheet
- Silicone mat, parchment paper, or if you must, cooking spray
- Large bowl and medium bowl
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Cookie scooper or tablespoon for dough balls
- Cooling wire rack, if you have
- A drinking glass
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour (or GF flour blend with xanthan gum)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp almond)
- additional 1/3 cup sugar for rolling
1. Line cookie sheet with parchment or silicone mat.
2. Get all ingredients in place in three groups and measured - This will make things easier.
3. MEDIUM BOWL - Combine A: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. LARGE BOWL - Combine B: sugar, cream cheese, melted butter and use hand mixer until smooth and not lumpy.
5. LARGE BOWL - Add C: egg, oil, milk, extracts to your large bowl of B: blended sugar, cream cheese and butter. Use a hand mixer until blended (approx 1 min).
6. COMBINE MEDIUM + LARGE BOWLS - Slowly add the flour mixture, A, to the large bowl of wet ingredients, B + C, with a rubber spatula. Mix until just combined. It will look sticky!
Go take a break! ~REFRIGERATE WHOLE BOWL 20 MINS~
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grab the bowl with the extra 1/3 cup sugar in it.
8. Using cookie scoop, make dough balls that are the size of a ping pong ball and roll in the sugar.
9. Place dough balls on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Use the bottom of the drinking glass to flatten the cookies slightly.
10. Bake in oven for 10-12 mins, until edges look firm. Transfer to wire cooling rack with a flat spatula.